Have you, a friend, or a loved one been arrested and charged with a Marijuana crime?
If you are facing drug charges in Houston, you should know that you are not alone. Drug charges are scary, but with the help of an aggressive, experienced defense attorney, you could potentially get your case dismissed in certain situations. Below is a guide to help you understand the different types of drug charges in Texas and what the possible fines and penalties are for a conviction.
Types of Drug Charges & Crimes in Texas
Drug charges carry some of the heaviest fines and penalties in Texas. Being charged with Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Sell or Deliver is a serious matter. Under Texas law, drug crimes are defined as an offense that involves the possession, sale, use, manufacturing or growing of any controlled substance/illegal narcotic. If you have been charged or arrested for conspiring to sell, possess, or manufacture drugs you need an experienced drug crimes lawyer.
Texas marijuana laws are some of the strictest – possessing just two ounces qualifies for jail time. Since marijuana is classified as a Schedule I substance, this means that the potential for abuse is high and the penalties associated with it are nothing to scoff at.
What could I be charged with?
Although some states have begun legalizing marijuana, the state of Texas does not recognize marijuana as having any medical value. For this reason, it is still a crime to possess, cultivate, sell or distribute any amount of marijuana – which also includes drug paraphernalia that can be used to harvest, store, sell, smoke or ingest the drug. Simply possessing drug paraphernalia in Texas can result in a $500 fine.
If the marijuana-related drug crime was committed in a drug-free school zone or involved a minor, the penalties can be significantly increased. Texas also imposes a tax stamp on any marijuana-related transactions, but because the drug is illegal, paying for the tax stamp is typically avoided. If you are convicted of a drug crime, you may have to pay for the tax stamp – which is typically $3.50 for each gram or portion of a gram.
Penalties for Marijuana Possession in Texas
It is a crime to possess any amount of marijuana in Texas. If you are arrested for this crime, the severity of the resulting penalties will depend on the amount of marijuana that was uncovered.
According to Texas Code § 481.121, the penalties can include:
- Possessing less than 2 ounces: 180 days in jail & $2,000 in fines.
- Possessing 2 to 4 ounces: 1 year in jail & $4,000 in fines.
- Possessing 4 ounces to 5 pounds: 180 days to 2 years in prison & $10,000 in fines.
- Possessing 5 to 50 pounds: 2 to 10 years in prison & $10,000 in fines.
- Possessing 50 to 2,000 pounds: 2 to 20 years in prison & $10,000 in fines.
- Possessing 2,000+ pounds: 5 to 99 years in prison & $50,000 in fines.
Penalties-for-Marijuana Cultivation & Sales
It is also a crime to cultivate or sell marijuana. If you are arrested for this crime, the severity of the penalties will depend on the amount of marijuana that was cultivated or sold. According to Texas Code § 481.120, the penalties for selling marijuana include:
- Gifting ¼ of an ounce or less: 180 days in jail & 2,000 in fines
- Selling ¼ of an ounce or less: 1 year in jail & $4,000 in fines
- Selling ¼ of an ounce to 5 pounds: 180 days to 2 years in prison & $10,000 in fines
- Selling 5 to 50 pounds: 2 to 20 years in prison & $10,000 in fines
- Selling 50 to 2,000 pounds: 5 to 99 years in prison & $50,000 in fines
- Selling 2,000+ pounds: 10 to 99 years in prison & 50,000 in fines
Don’t Fight Your Drug Charges Alone
The Huff Law Firm can review various factors regarding your charges and build a defense plan personalized to your case. As a Houston drug crime lawyer, I can determine what the best possible defense strategy is. I can also provide in-depth guidance throughout each and every step of the process
Some examples of the various types of drug charges in Texas include but are not limited to:
- Possession of Marijuana
- Felony Possession of Marijuana
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Possession of a Dangerous Drug (methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin and other drugs)
- Possession of a Controlled Substance (prescription drugs and other drugs)
- Felony Possession of a Controlled Substance (methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, etc.)
- Possession with Intent to Deliver (involves the distribution of drugs)
- Possession with Intent to Sell
- Drug Trafficking
- Drug Smuggling
- Drug Sales
- Drug Manufacturing or Cultivation (including the growing/cultivation of marijuana)
- Prescription Fraud
If you, a friend, or a loved one are facing drug charges, contact The Huff Law Firm now at 713-562-8700 for a free consultation to determine your rights and legal options.
Types of Drug Cases We Handle
The Huff Laws Firm’s Other Services
Cases We Handle
- FREE CONSULTATION
- EXPLAIN TEXAS LAWS AT ISSUE
- DEVELOPE LEGAL STRATEGY
- CONDUCT AN INVESTIGATION
- RESOLVE CASES QUICKLY AND COST EFFECTIVELY
What Client’s Say
Mr. Korey Huff is an outstanding and trustworthy attorney.. He was very passionate and professional. He always kept me informed about All communications he had with outside attorneys. He only accepted an agreement that he thought was reasonable and fair… If you want a strong and dedicated attorney to represent you, then I recommend Korey Huff. Thanks Korey for all your hard work and fighting for your client! Houston Texas
Very good attorney. Was there for 2 of my cases(same offense) and both worked out in my favor. Reasonable price, very professional, all around good to work with.
Korey Huff is such a great attorney. We made several resets for my case and he managed to get my case settled with the best outcome I could have ever imagined! He is also very reasonable and tells you exactly what you can expect through this process. I highly recommend Mr. Huff and if the need arise (which I hope not!), I wouldn’t hesitate to hire him again.
If it wasn’t for Korey Huff I would be in jail!! He helped me win my case!! He is a Very Outspoken Amazing Attorney! Great Attitude and Very Polite! His services are worth every penny! I Most Definitely recommend him to represent you!
I got arrested for POM. I decided to start calling around and found Korey. Korey was willing to help me out with my payments for him and talked me through me case at every court session. He has a very caring aspect to him and he is good at what he does. He had got my case dismissed after getting a bargain with the prosecutor. I would most definitely hire Korey again. I feel like he worked a…
Got a dwi my bac came back 3 times the legal limit . Came out with 1 year probation, no community service ! . Very satisfied with his work and his price !!